TIPS is the Technical Innovation and Professional Services, a national programmatic activity of the U.S. Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement that provides off-the-shelf scientific and engineering analysis software and hardware tools to the state, tribal, and Federal offices that administer the Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act of 1977 (SMCRA). TIPS also delivers comprehensive instructor-led and online training courses in the use of these tools. TIPS training is developed in-house by state, tribal, and OSM experts and is customized to coal mining and reclamation applications.
Take a look around our website. You'll find information about the tools that we provide to our SMCRA partners, the customized training opportunities, and information about each of our Support Teams. Our Support Teams provide expert support in the software and hardware tools associated with each major scientific and engineering field associated with mining and reclamation.
The TIPS Support Teams are:
- CAD Team: Supporting Computer Automated Drafting software for mapping and reclamation design
- GIS Team: Supporting Geographic Information Systems software for geographically referenced maps and information
- Hydrology Team: Supporting software tools for modeling and analyzing surface and ground-water impacts on the environment
- Mobile Computing Team: Supporting Global Positioning System (GPS), and tablet computing systems and software suitable for field use
- Remote Sensing Team:Supporting imagery collected from satellites and aerial cameras for use in analyzing environmental impacts on the ground
Take some time and explore the technical training and assistance we provide to our SMCRA partners. Contact us and let us know if you have questions or need assistance - we enjoy working to make technical analysis tools available to our SMCRA program customers.
Thanks for taking the time to visit our site!
TIPS and Technology Transfer Branch Manager